A roof can protect your home from the elements, such as the sun, wind, and rain, but do you know the right roof can also keep you cool? A particular kind of roof, known as a cool roof, is designed to keep you cool by reflecting more sunlight and absorbing less heat than a regular roof. Cool roofs are of great benefit to residents of Dallas, Plano, and other North Texas cities, where temperatures regularly climb into the triple-digits during the summer and stay warm well into fall.
How They Work: Cool roof components are made of lighter-colored, highly reflective materials, like tiles, shingles, paint, or overlay. These materials reflect the rays of the sun away from your roof, keeping your home up to 50 degrees cooler than a standard roof.
- Since the reflective materials of your cool roof direct the sun’s rays away from your home, this means that your air conditioner does not have to work as hard to cool your home.
- An additional benefit is significant energy savings for you and your community. Not only will you see lower electricity bills, but choosing a cool roof also means that you can help reduce the higher demand for electricity in your area.
- Deflecting the damaging rays of the sun can mean an extended lifespan for your roof because the sun’s wear on your shingles and other roofing components is reduced. Reduced wear means you may get more years out of your cool roof than a standard roof.
- Cool roofs can also benefit other areas of your home that are not air-conditioned, like your garage, screened-in patio, or covered porch.
- Cool roofs provide more significant environmental benefits for your community by reducing local air temperatures.
Are you interested in a cool roof? Contact a DFW roofing expert today!