Do you need to make an insurance claim for a roof repair or roof replacement for your Carrollton home? If you are starting the claim process, the first thing you will likely do is pick up the phone and call your homeowner’s insurance company. While you’re on the phone with your agent, they may give you the name or names of contractors they recommend for roofing work – but do you have to use them?
The answer is no.
While many insurance companies often give their customers the names of their preferred contractors for plumbing, roofing or even auto body repair. They may also try to pressure you to choose their favored vendors, the truth is you are not mandated to use those companies for your repair work. Instead, you can pick your own professional roofing company to do your repair or replacement project.
If you don’t have a trusted, professional roofing company, the process of finding one may be intimidating. Don’t get overwhelmed and rushed into making a decision. Follow these tips to find a professional roofer you can trust with these guidelines:
Look for warning signs. One of the number one warning signs is an offer to pay your deductible. Waiving deductibles is illegal in Texas. While it may sound tempting, it is a sign of unscrupulous business practice.
Other warning signs to watch out for:
- Door-to-door roofing sales. Professional and trustworthy roofers do not go door-to-door to solicit business.
- Asking for money in advance.
- Out-of-state/out-of-area phone numbers or no local address.
- No online presence.
- Not licensed or registered. Although the state of Texas does not require licensing, many municipalities ask roofers to be registered in their city limits. Check your city’s ordinances and requirements for roofers.
Go one step further and do some research on the companies you are looking at by:
- Calling references.
- Call your city’s permitting department to check for complaints or prior permitting problems.
- Search Google Business reviews, Yelp and the Better Business Bureau website for praise or problems.
- Ask for their insurance certificate and make sure it is valid.
Before you sign on the dotted line:
- Be sure to review your contract carefully.
- Ask about your roofing warranty regarding both materials and labor.
Are you in need of a roof repair or replacement? Call a professional roofing company you can trust now.